Kanye West is unveiling the third season of his Yeezy clothing line and his new album T.L.O.P. (we don’t know the full name yet) with a show at Madison Square Garden, and now everyone can watch. West is partnering with Tidal to live stream the show starting at 4:00PM ET tomorrow afternoon, and it’ll be available to subscribers and non-subscribers alike on Tidal’s homepage.
Until this afternoon, it seemed like you’d only be able to see the show by procuring a ticket or attending one of the dozens of theatrical screenings around the world. If you lived anywhere other than the US or Central Europe, that would’ve meant gluing yourself to your Twitter feed and hoping for tidbits.
— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest)
This is just the latest in a series of high-profile exclusives Tidal has secured, many of which involve partnerships with its musician part-owners. Rihanna premiered her new album ANTI on the service two weeks ago, and Beyoncé released her new single “Formation” there just a day before her Super Bowl performance. It seems like Tidal is more interested in the promotional value of these releases than forcing non-users into subscriptions: they’ve been accessible to everyone, often for the price of an email.
As for West, he’s going to be very busy over the next few days. He’s throwing a party and launching a zine celebrating Yeezy Season 2 (his previous collection) at a Manhattan parking garage tonight, and he’ll be occupied tomorrow with the MSG events outlined above. After that’s finished, he’ll enjoy some downtime on Friday before returning to Saturday Night Live for his first post-album performance. This is why he doesn’t want anyone to bug him until Monday, okay? (Let’s hope he’s too tired to tweet anything else about Bill Cosby.)
- Watch comedian Chelsea Peretti tear Silicon Valley a new one
- Here’s how Sundance’s first VR residency film got made
- How the Coen brothers used new-school effects to create old-school Hollywood in Hail, Caesar!
- Firewatch review: a game that perfectly captures the beauty and terror of nature
- Deadpool: no rules, no consequences, lots of dick jokes
- Cold Ontario nights: the creative rebirth of Junior Boys
- The party’s over: Madoff, Billions, and a sober new wave of financial dramas