10 OLDEST BUILDINGS IN THE WORLD
- Broch of Mousa
Located on the Island of Mousa, Scotland, the Bronch of Mousa is the tallest and best- preserved buildings in Europe. Its height is 1.3 meters. It was built on a rock surface on the shores of this island. Excavations started in 1861 where large number of animal bones was discovered. Stone pots lids and clay pots were also found in this site.
- Treasury of Atreus
The treasury of Atreus, located in Greece was a tomb built more than 3,250 years ago, during the Bronze Age period. For a period of thousand years it was considered as the widest and tallest on the planet, before the Pantheon was built later on.
- Great Pyramid of Giza
The Pyramid of Giza is situated in Egypt. It was built around 2650 BC for Pharaoh Khufu, fourth dynasty. It is the biggest of the three pyramids of Giza. It is one of the seven wonders of the world. Additionally, it also happens to be the only remaining Neolithic building that is still intact to this day. Erecting it lasted 20 years and majestically stands at 146.5 meters. The intriguing evidence is that external surface was smooth allowing us to view what was underneath that external surface.
- Pyramid of Djoser
Pyramid of Djoser in Egypt was put up between 2667 and 2648 BC. It was a burial site for Pharaoh Djoser as was the case with most other pyramids in Egypt. Initially, it stood about 62 meters tall and had a base of 125 by 109 meters. Polishing was done with white limestone. Pharaoh Djoser rule lasted for a time of nineteen years according to existing records.
- Temples of Mata
The megalithic temples of Malta are a strip of landmarks in Malta. The UNESCO considers seven of them as heritage sites. They were built around 3500 to 2500 BC as a consequence of social evolution. Archeologists consider these landmarks as the oldest buildings in the world. There has been proof of human dwelling in that territory going back to just about 5000 BC. Charred remains of fire, pottery and bones were found in this site.
- Knap of Howar
This monument is situated in Scotland and was built around 3700 to 3100 BC. The Knap of Howar is located on Papa Westray Island. It happens to be the most seasoned stone house in all of Northern Europe. It was built on a farm which comprises of 2 rectangular structures with low entryways facing the sea. Although it was believed its wall stood much higher, official records put them at a height of 1.6 meters. The furniture discovered in the house is still intact.
- Monte d’Accoddi
Situated in Italy, it was built around 2700 to 2000 BC. The Monte d’accoddi was found in 1954. It has a base of 27 by 27 square meter. Its walls were about 5.5 meters tall. No one has been able to explain what its purpose was, but it was depicted as a sanctuary and an altar. Archaeologists have been fascinated by it down the years although none have been able to crack its true purpose.
- Tumulus Saint-Michael
The National Heritage site was built 5000 BC. It comprises a hill of stones and earth, standing at a height of 10 meters, width of 50 meters and length of 125 meters. Excavations started out in 1862 where sillimanite, pearls, flint tools, and furniture were found. In 1889, it was classified as a National heritage site in France.
- Tumulus of Bougon
The Necropolis of Bougon is a set of 5 Neolithic barrows situated in Bougon, France. Their revelation in 1840 raised scientific interest. To secure the landmarks, the site was procured by the branch of Deux-Sèvres in 1873. The site excavations continued in the late 1960s. The most established structures of this ancient landmark date to 4800 BC.
This was also referred to as the Cairn of Barnenez. It is situated close to Britanny, France. The Barnenez is a Neolithic landmark and goes back to about 4500 BC. On record, it is considered the oldest landmark in Europe and the whole world. The initial phase of this specific landmark was built somewhere around 4850 and 4250 BC while the final stage was around 4450 and 4000 BC, effortlessly making it the most punctual structure on the planet Earth. Mapping of the monument was done in 1807. It was later rebuilt between 1954 and 1968.